The National Safety Day/Safety Week Campaign being spearheaded by the Council since 1971 to mark its Foundation Day (4th March) has significantly contributed in spreading safety awareness in all sectors. The campaign is comprehensive, general and flexible with an appeal to the participating organisations to develop specific activities as per their safety requirements.
- to take Safety, Health and Environment (SHE) movement to different parts of the country.
- to achieve participation of major players in different industrial sectors at different levels.
- to promote use of participative approach by employers by involving their employees in SHE activities.
- to promote development of need-based activities, self-compliance with statutory requirements and professional SHE management systems at work places.
- to bring into the fold of voluntary SHE movement sectors, which have not so far been statutorily covered.
- to remind employers, employees and others concerned of their responsibility in making the workplace safer.
In summary, the above objectives are part of an overall goal of creating and strengthening SHE culture in workplace and integrating the same with the work culture.
METHODOLOGY AND APPROACH
Appeal to the Members to organise the Campaign.
Supply them with professionally designed promotional materials and promotional-cum-utility items with SHE slogans/messages printed on them.These materials are centrally designed, produced and distributed by the Council with following aims :
- Convenience in organising the Campaign.
- Ensuring that the materials are of professional quality with appealing messages reflecting national SHE issues.
- Generating fund to contribute to NSC’s financial self-reliance.
- Secured Government support at the national level.
- Electronic media advised by the government to promote coverage which has made the Campaign highly visible.
- Effective use of NSC’s journal, newspapers and house magazines of industries.
- Duration of the Campaign increased to a week.This has increased the span of the visible impact of the Campaign.
- State Chapters of NSC actively following up and involving State Governments and District Administrations in the Campaign at the grass-root levels.
- Public Functions, Seminars, discussions and debates, issuing appeals/messages.
- Release of sport films on SHE issues.
- Participation of the Union Labour Minister and top officials of the Ministry of Labour; NSC Chairman and Senior Officials; Senior Executives from Industry; National level Trade Union Leaders and Eminent Personalities from institutions/NGOs and public.
- Doordarshan’s National Network and regional kendras, All India Radio stations and the national/regional press providing coverage to the important functions/ activities held during the week.
- Same as that at the national level with emphasis on activities projecting state level measures taken and issues faced. These are in the regional languages. They depict activities undertaken by the State Govt. e.g. distribution of Safety Awards etc.
- Pinning of NSD badge on VVIPs such as Governors, Chief Ministers, etc.
- Banners displayed by the NSC and State Chapters in strategic locations in capitals and major cities.
- Council’s Chapters, State Factory Inspectorates and Industry Associations bring out supplements in English and regional language newspapers.
- Administration of Safety Pledge by the employees. The model text of the Safety Pledge designed, developed and distributed by the NSC.
- Unfurling of the NSD Flag.
- Pinning of the NSD badge on employees.
- Banners displayed at strategic locations in the units.
- Safety competitions – Essay, Slogans, Posters, Housekeeping, Safety Performance, etc.
- Safety suggestions.
- One-act play/drama, songs, quawalis.
- Training Programmes/Workshops/Seminars, etc.
- Screening of safety films in units/employee colonies.
- Practical demonstrations on PPE/Fire Fighting, etc.
- Organising emergency drills.
- Display of Mobile Exhibition.
- Holding award functions.
- Invite eminent guest speakers.
- Community Awareness Programmes.
List of typical NSD Promotional Material/Utility Articles:
- Safety Day Badge
- Mini Safety Poster-cum/Calendar
- Safety Instruction Cards
- Special Safety Posters
- Key Chain with Bottle Opener
- Multipurpose Travel Pouch
- Utility Plastic Containers
- Leather Belt
- Shoulder Bag
- Travel Bag