NSC has been actively working in the field of Chemical Emergency/Disaster Management since 1992 by working in collaboration with the UNEP by implementing UNEP – a newly developed Awareness and Preparedness for Emergencies at Local Level (APELL) Programme across the country. Since then, this Programme has been implemented in the following stages:
- APELL-LAMP Project in six High Risk Industrial Areas (1992-97) (collaborators: UNEP/ DTIE, USAID, World Environment Centre)
- Trans-APELL including Demonstration Project in Trombay-Chembur Industrial Area (2000-02)
- Institutionalized APELL in NSC services.
- Establishing the National APELL Centre (NAC) in NSC, Hqs, (2002-04)
- Launching the NAC Sub-Centres at Tuticorin, Tamil Nadu (2004) in collaboration with Heavy Water Plant and at Pune (2006) in collaboration with Lokmanya Medical Foundation
- A 2-year Project on Disaster Risk Reduction in Tourism Destination – Kanniyakumari (Oct. 06- Dec.08) in collaboration with NAC Sub-centre at Tuticorin and Kanniyakumari District Administration.
Contact mail address: email@example.com
Services on Emergency/Disaster Management
Based on the experiences gained in the APELL Programme and the services provided to industry, NSC has set up a separate Disaster Management Division in 2006. The activities of the Division include:
- Review/Prepare Emergency/Disaster Management Plans for Industrial Units, Projects, Corporate Offices/Buildings and Industry List (Click)
- Organise and conduct national level workshops on various segments of Disaster Management Cycle
- Conduct need-based training programmes on Disaster/Emergency Management in industrial units, schools, etc.;
- Provide follow-up services on emergency planning and preparedness.
Some Pioneering work done by NSC
- NSC played a key role as a Member of the Core Group of the National Disaster Management Authority in developing the National Guidelines on Chemical (Industrial) Disasters. NSC has also contributed as a Member on the Core Group of Nuclear and Radiological Disasters.
- NSC provided technical support for drafting a chapter on Industrial Disasters to 2nd Administrative Reforms Commission.
- Workshop on Industrial Disaster Management for Factory Inspectors – NSC designed and developed Training Module & Manual and conducted two workshops at Ahmedabad for officers of the Directorate of Industrial Safety & Health (DISH), Gujarat on the request of the Gujarat State Disaster Management Authority (GSDMA) in Apr, 05 & Sept, 05.
- HAZMAT Response by Traffic Police – Developed 1-day Training Module and conducted workshop for the Senior Highway Traffic Police of Maharashtra in Mar, 03. Also, conducted Training on First Aid and Rescue of Accident Victims for Traffic Police, Maharashtra in Jul, 03
- Training for Corporate Sector – NSC developed a 3-day training module on Disaster Management and organised across India. So far 14 such Workshops had been organized since 2007.
- Training on Organising Emergency Drills – NSC developed a 2-day training module and first time organized in Mumbai in Mar 09.
Contact mail address firstname.lastname@example.org